Thursday 22 January 2015

From PhilH - 28mm Spanish Civil War Carabineros (35 Points)

The best laid plans...


A fortnight ago, Juan and I were hurtling towards the showdown of our duel. I was a fair bet that Juan would enter into the 'Victorian' bonus round, smashing his target. But our entry days would score first. At 180 points, if I could paint 14 miniatures in one week, I could have made it. I ploughed into the first batch of my Spanish Civil War project.

Alas, my painting plans rarely survive contact with an average week. As the first week dragged on, it became less and less likely that I'd finish the first batch, let alone a second. Juan's Wednesday entry pushed him over the line. In an attempt to recover some honour, I worked late last Thursday before hanging up the brushes well after I should have hit the pillow. Fourteen miniatures in one week? Fat chance, unless they're Mahdists - seven was too high a bar!

Still, it meant I could recover my energies and not rush such fine miniatures from Empress. One week on, this starts my SCW project proper. Seven Carabineros in trousers and shirts and their very fine peaked caps. They have been joined by the test mini in his overalls, whose webbing was tweaked as suggested.


The carabineros, or more accurately, Real Cuerpo de Carabineros de Costas y Fronteras were the Spanish frontier guards and customs police and fought on both side of the Civil War, though siding perhaps slightly more often with the Republicans. Though largely deployed at ports and frontier crossings, they were responsible for patrolling their area of responsibility. They were lightly equipped, with just one Hotchkiss machine gun in the armoury of a command of multiple companies. During the Civil War, support weapons would have been drawn from army or other units, which is what the Chain of Command list allows. 


I've not seen any carabineros painted in 28mm, though I found examples in smaller scales. I'm pleased with how their 'grey green' has come out - a noticeable colour and my worry it would look lurid on larger areas was misplaced. But boy was it slow work, probably eight highlights. 


As they are on the same sized bases as my Sudan British, my skirmish trays can be dual-use.




Seven 28mm miniatures, 35 points. First batch done - two more to go - overalls and tunics - then onto something different!


From Curt:


Lovely work Phil. That grey-green you've concocted for their uniform is just wonderful, but EIGHT highlights - are you mad!?  Nonetheless, your brushwork is as smooth as butter so what do I know. 

In the pictures some of the shirts have a washed-out pinkish undertone, is that from the paint or an artifact from the photo?  Anyway I quite like it. Also, the mix of leather tones for their cartridge boxes is a great approach as it reinforces their non front-line status (perhaps having to resort to un-matching, ad hoc equipment?). 

I probably don't need to remind you that you and I have a duel coming to its conclusion as well. If memory serves, it is to see who can first paint 100 points of infantry from any civil war ('A Duel So Civil'). With this entry, along with your test model and your priest you have 45 points. I have 65 from my Russian Civil War Czechoslovakian infantry (I'm not counting my Tachanka as it's a vehicle).  I can pretty much guarantee I will hit (and hopefully exceed) my 100 point goal by this Sunday, but in the spirit of competition I challenge you to hit our 100 point target, or better yet, match my Sunday tally, with your next Thursday submission (Jan 29th). I know you can do it.


Are you up for it Mr. Hawkins?  :)

19 comments:

  1. Curt's nailed it. EIGHT highlights? You may be mad Phil but it's my kind of madness. These are simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael - the last few highlights go a bit quicker usually. I find if I 'skip' any highlights it looks jarring as I'm working so tend to stick with what I know. Of course, it may well be that a few stages could be shaved off and not be so noticeable on the finished product. But old habits die hard and I'm a layer-er through and through!

      Delete
  2. 8 highlights? You're clearly slacking Phil. It should have been 12!

    Beautiful work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 8 highlights!? Damn....it shows though in the quality of their look! They are really nice! I like the green and quality is it's own quantity! ;)
    The webbing and gear are really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do look great. I should slow down and put as much effort into painting figure I just wish I had that level of patience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to pretend its like the tortoise and the hare and I'll paint more than you all eventually.

      Delete
  5. These look beautiful Phil. I have to echo the others - eight highlights? madness! - but you can't argue with results, and the results here are excellent. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It might be madness but it's a beautiful madness

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, cheers Ian. Great models make the madness more fun.

      Delete
  7. It may sound like madness but the results are certainly striking! Well worth the effort I think. It's getting harder and harder to reskst these lovely Empress figures... if only they weren't that pricey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I would like to see what you did with them Martin

      Delete
  8. The blending is absolutely gorgeous. Don't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic painting work with the Carabineros, Phil. With a lot of painting work in them!!! I can put five or six highlights in some areas of some miniatures, but not eight!
    They are fantastic, ready to fight the Sublevados, I expect.
    Our side challenge has had a lot of fun; thank you a lot for it, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great pleasure Juan. See you at 500? ;-)

      Delete
  10. Oh and Curt, the green uniform is Vallejo model colour 'Green Grey' base, highlighted through with VMC 'Pastel Green'. Then a couple more highlights with white for good measure.

    The shirts are shaded with VMC 'Iraqi sand', though I wouldn't say pinkish was the intention. The uniform shirts should be white for summer or dark green for winter, but I was loathe to shade the former with grey as the rest of the force will be in greens and browns - I thought it would look odd. With the motley look of their equipment, I figured their shirts will be grubby, worn and then replaced with whatever local materials are available (I resisted the urge to give one a checked shirt). Maybe their officer will get a crisp white one though!

    ReplyDelete