Friday 9 February 2018

From: SanderS - Guess what? Right, more Heroquest... (155 Points and 10 for Arthur)

Yea yes, I know; I should be painting 1:72 Napoleonics by now but today I had a special pre-Holiday Quest at school using a custom Quest "Mound of the Beastmen"and I didn't own any beastmen so had to start from scratch.

First up I need to say that my mission to spread the hobby-joy is succeeding, since two of my pupils now own a HQ boxed game as well. Since their miniatures are unpainted and therefore rather unsatisfying, I have started painting them up for them in between other projects and these 5 will go to Collins set soon.



Next up are some more Greenies. I have managed to paint up some of the WHQ Goblin archers and spear-men. The archers apparently are a sort of prototype night-goblin but their hats make them look silly to me.



For the custom quest I needed Beastmen and a Chaoshound. Ebay proved to be my friend and I was able to score some metal OOP figures as characters. The first of which I present here: the Chaoshound, Shaman and the Beastlord, some others are still in cue.





Through a FB trading page I obtained a sprue of plastic beastmen and made and painted 10, yes there are only 9 of them in the picture because I stupidly forgot one at school today. The pictures are not the best and sadly the blue of the bases is not shown in it's actual hue but it's really dark and has a really nice light blue highlight. I am almost happier with the bases then the figures themselves.







To top today is another figure Arthur has painted, I gave him an old Ex Illis mounted figure to paint in order to practice for the metal riders he has planned for later on in the Challenge. I know his palette to be a little limited but he was adamant that this is how the knight should look. Since it was a trial in dry-brushing for him I did not press the matter.



Specially for Lady Sarah: I have put your suggestion of painting a female adventurer before him and he's not convinced. I got him to accept that Girls can, in theory, be cool and badass yet he does not actually want to paint one at this moment. I'll keep on it ;-)

So for me that would be 31 foot figures in 28mm making 155 points and Arthur has a mounted 28m for 10 if I am correct.

_____________________________________________

Wow, Sander, you are absolutely on fire with painting your (and your students'!) Heroquest collections! You must be one of the most popular teachers in your school. 

I love seeing these old Beastman castings as they were one of my early Warhammer Fantasy armies (I remember them being a very nasty lot in 4th edition). I agree with you, your stone bases on these fellows look very fine - that blue highlight is a great touch. Please let Arthur know that I think his knight looks excellent. I especially like the horse's barding, the heraldry on the shield and the neat marbling effect on the base. The lad has talent! (Sarah is confident that he will come around to liking the ladies.)

So that's 155 points you and another 10 for Arthur. Well done boys!

_____________________________________________

11 comments:

  1. Nice painting Sander and Arthur! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top work from Chez Sander - you guys rock!

    Remember, the family that paints together, games together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. some really awesome work here, top effort

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on all those figures Sanders, it’s good to see some of those older models get some attention. Well done too, Arthur, your knight looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Steves, yeah these old figures have a charm all of their own. I guess for me and perhaps some of you guys it's nostalgic as well.

      Delete
  5. Well done Sander and especially Arthur.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice goblins and beast men and really nice knight!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete