Friday 24 February 2017

From KenR - 1/2400 WW2 Naval (17 points)


My second entry of the week is this small collection of WW2 ships, all by GHQ and all in 1/2400 scale.

If I was a chef I would definitely say that Naval ships are my "signature dish", I have masses of these around the place and last year painted all 250 ships at Jutland for my sins. The ships are mini, metal models fixed to MDF bases on which I sculpt a sea texture, undercoat and then paint.


The first up are three German Destroyers, these have been specifically done for a club display / participation game of the sinking of the Tirpitz.



Followed by the mighty Tirpitz herself painted in her final 1944 camouflage scheme with dark grey hull and lower superstructure and light grey uppers. The iconic red party flag on the bow was gone by now, too much of a target.



And finally an Armed Merchant / Passenger ship same range and scale, this will be used with my WW1 fleets.

So something a bit different, I have no idea how many points these are but they were great fun to do.

You have done a great job on highlighting the details of these small miniatures. I really like the way you sculpted the sea and you gave a good representation of the waves. These are indeed the "special du chef". For the Challenge, usually capital ships and cruisers are worth 3 points and destroyers and smaller are worth two points. Thus your new units are worth 12 points. But I will spice up you dish with 5 more points for sculpting the sea surface. Well done! (Sylvain) 

20 comments:

  1. Great work Ken - I salute the great skills of the naval folks! Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you do these ... would love a game some time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Ken. Your basing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, as I say above its definitely my signature dish

      Delete
  4. Great work Ken. I like your basing - it looks very North Atlantic. We have great fun in this scale as well, using General Quarters III and Fleet Action Imminent (I'm a huge fan of the torpedo rules).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt, North Atlantic was my aiming point

      Delete
  5. Very well done Ken, I love the sea, turned out much better than my attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Byron,
      http://yarkshiregamer.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/12400-ww1-wtj-naval-from-box-to-table.html
      The above link will take you straight to a tutorial I did on the basing, hope it helps.

      Delete
  6. I always enjoy seeing your ships Ken. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely ships, the armed merchant is my favourite.
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very fine ships, Ken! The basing is exquisite!
    I'd love to game some sea battles, but it is hard enough to get my friends to pilot starships! I even have a box of those silly simple card ships, no takers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David, it's a real shame you can't get others involved. Some of my best games have been Naval.

      Delete